Sunday, September 17, 2017

Captain William Thompson Lusk to Elizabeth Adams Lusk, Early Morning, August 3, 1862

Aug. 3d, early in the morning. I trust by the time this reaches you, you may ascertain through the papers our destination. I am quite in the fog, but cling to the fancy that it must be to join Pope. I am much obliged to my friends who are urging my appointment in the new Regiment. Of course for the present I can only hold my tongue. You cannot long to see me more than I do you. I certainly would give six months' pay for one month's rest. It is a good deal wearing to be kept steadily at the wheel which seems never to stop turning. However, I shall hope for a few days to recruit myself, if appointed to the 18th. It is really remarkable though, how my health continues. I am beginning to have strong faith in my vitality. If there be no other chance, why, I shall have to wait until next winter. I think had I received a short leave of absence this summer my usefulness would have been much increased. I could not have it, though many have been home ten months out of the twelve. Of course I shall feel the prouder for it in the end. Goodbye. A thousand kisses judiciously dispensed among dear ones at home.

Affec'y.,
WILL.

SOURCE: William Chittenden Lusk, Editor, War Letters of William Thompson Lusk, p. 172

No comments: