Sunday, October 8, 2017

John Brown [alias Isaac Smith] to his Family, September 8, 1859

Chambersburg, Pa., Sept. 8, 1859.

Dear Wife And Children, All, — I write to say that we are all well, and are getting along as well as we could reasonably expect. It now appears likely that Martha and Anne will be on their way home in the course of this month, but they may be detained to a little later period. I do not know what to advise about fattening the old spotted cow, as much will depend on what you have to feed her with; whether your heifers will come in or not next spring; also upon her present condition. You must exercise the best judgment you have in the matter, as I know but little about your crops. I should like to know more as soon as I can. I am now in hopes of being able to send you something in the way of help before long. May God abundantly bless you all! Ellen, I want you to be very good.

Your affectionate husband and father,
I. S.

Sept. 9. Bell's letter of .'30th August to Watson is received.

Sept. 20, 1859. All well. Girls will probably start for home soon.

Yours ever,
I. S.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 532

No comments: