Thursday, December 21, 2017

Senator Charles Sumner to Major-General Benjamin F. Butler, January 8, 1863

SENATE CHAMBER, January 8, 1863.
[General BUTLER :]

DEAR GENERAL: Mr. Stanton assured me last evening that had he known your real position with regard to the proclamation he would have cut off his right hand before he would have allowed anybody to take your place; that his fixed purpose was that on the 1st of January a general should be in command at New Orleans to whom the proclamation would be a living letter, and that, in this respect, it was natural, after the recent elections in Pennsylvania and New York, that he should look to a Republican rather than to an old Democrat. I mention these things frankly that you may see the precise motive of the recent change. I afterward saw the President, who said that he hoped very soon to return you to New Orleans. He added that he was anxious to keep you in the public service and to gratify you, as you had deserved well of the country.

I do not know that you will care to hear these things, but I trust that you will appreciate the sympathy and friendly interest which dictate their communication.

Believe me, dear general, very faithfully, yours,
CHARLES SUMNER.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 53 (Serial No. 111), p. 546

No comments: