Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Captain William Thompson Lusk to Elizabeth Adams Lusk, September 30, 1862

Antietam Iron Works,          
79th Regiment,   
Sept. 30th. 1862.
My dear Mother:

I send you herewith the copy sent me to-night of Special Order No. 8 from the Headquarters of the 9th Army Corps. I trust it will afford you a crumb of comfort. Keep it, if it will be of any use in getting me recognized in Connecticut. Having always boasted of hailing from that State, I am considered as a sort of alien in a New-York Regiment. But Connecticut doesn't appear to trouble herself much about me, so I think it would be better if you should forward the document to Horace, to whom I have confided the delicate task of insinuating to my New-York friends that I am really living still. It might be of some assistance to him.

Have nothing further to add, except that I don't fancy my old crony Hattie's marrying a widower with three children. Love to all.

Affec'y.,
Will.

SOURCE: William Chittenden Lusk, Editor, War Letters of William Thompson Lusk, p. 217-8

No comments: