Thursday, January 11, 2018

John Brown Jr. to John Henry Kagi, August 18, 1859

Syracuse, N. Y., Thursday, Aug. 18, 1859.

Friend Henrie, — I am here to-day, so far on my way back from Boston, whither 1 went on Friday last. Found our Syracuse friend there, but his engagements were such that he could not possibly leave until yesterday morning. We reached here about twelve o'clock last night. While in Boston I improved the time in making the acquaintance of those stanch friends of our friend Isaac. First called on Dr. Howe, who, though I had no letter of introduction, received me most cordially. He gave me a letter to the friend who does business on Milk Street.1 Went with him to his home in Medford, and took dinner. The last word he said to me was, “Tell friend Isaac that we have the fullest confidence in his endeavor, whatever may be the result.” I have met no man on whom I think more implicit reliance may be placed. He views matters from the standpoints of reason and principle, and I think his firmness is unshakable. The friend at Concord2 I did not see; he was absent from home. The others here will, however, communicate with him. They were all, in short, very much gratified, and have had their faith and hopes much strengthened. Found a number of earnest and warm friends, whose sympathies and theories do not exactly harmonize; but in spite of themselves their hearts will lead their heads. Our Boston friends thought it better that our old friend from Syracuse3 should accompany me in my journey northward. I shall leave in an hour or two for Rochester, where I will finish this letter. I am very glad I went to Boston, as all the friends were of the opinion that our friend Isaac was in another part of the world, if not in another sphere. Our cause is their cause, in the fullest sense of the word.
_______________

1 George L. Stearns.

2 Franklin B. Sanborn.

3 Jermain W Loguen.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 537-8

No comments: