Saturday, March 3, 2018

Oliver Brown to his Family, September 9, 1859

Parts Unknown, Sept. 9, 1859.

Dear Mother, Brother, And Sisters, — Knowing that you all feel deeply interested in persons and matters here, I feel a wish to write all I can that is encouraging, feeling that we all need all the encouragement we can get while we are travelling on through eternity, of which every day is a part. I can only say that we are all well, and that our work is going on very slowly, but we think satisfactorily. I would here say that I think there is no good reason why any of us should be discouraged; for if we have done but one good act, life is not a failure. I shall probably start home with Martha and Anna about the last of this month. Salmon, you may make any use of the sugar things you can next year. I hope you will all keep a stiff lip, a sound pluck, and believe that all will come out right in the end. Nell, I have not forgotten you, and I want you should remember me. Please, all write. Direct to John Henrie, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.

Believe me your affectionate son and brother,
Oliver Smith.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 547

No comments: