Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Senator Salmon P. Chase to Edward L. Pierce, May 16, 1854

Washington, May 16, 1854.

My Dear Pierce: I enclose to you a brief which has no merit except simplicity and directness.

Many thanks to you for the pamphlet you sent me. I have not yet had time to read it, but shall certainly do so. I read your article in support of Mrs. Peters design with great pleasure, and am gratified you find time for such good work.

Sumner showed me your letter about E. S. I rejoiced greatly to hear of his success. That he should have failed of a good and appreciative audience in Circuit would have been a personal mortification to me.

The Nebraska scheme is on its legs again. Its passage into law is uncertain; it will be determined by superior tactics. Nous verroux, as Father Ritchie used to say, when disposed to seem sagacious and to make a parade of all the French the Revolution of '98 ever permitted him to acquire.

Have you seen Derby about publishing that book? I am sometimes spoken to on the subject, and would try to furnish you the material if Derby thinks fit to undertake the publication.

Yours truly.
[SALMON P. CHASE.]

SOURCE: Diary and correspondence of Salmon P. ChaseAnnual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1902, Vol. 2, p. 260-1

No comments: