Saturday, May 26, 2018

Samuel Gridley Howe to Charles Sumner, Thursday, June 20, 1850

At Sea, Thursday, June 20th, 1850.

My Dear Sumner: — It is not safe to count upon continuance of such fickle things as wind and steam, or prosperity of any kind, but barring accidents, we may reasonably hope to be off Cape Clear by midnight to-night, and to be in Liverpool before noon on Saturday; if you should receive this by the steamer that leaves on Saturday it will be the first instance on record of a mail being sent back by passengers who left America in a steamer of the week before.

The maximum of speed by ocean steamers has not however been attained, by any means; and if the American Line should succeed in crossing in ten days, the managers of this line will at once lay down the keels of boats that will cross in eight days. It can be demonstrated that in ordinary weather, boats with more power and a longer stroke can move with one sixth, or even one fifth greater speed than this one, and with safety too; but it must be by sacrifice of freight room, by greater expenditure of fuel, and by curtailing the cabin accommodations. The only question is, will it pay? The old ones say no; I say yes! Such are and ever must be the discomforts of a sea voyage, that passengers will be found to fill a steamer at $200 a passage, provided they can cross in a week, rather than go in one that will take ten or twelve days, though the price be but $100. . . .

Among many omissions made before leaving, one troubles me. It was to answer a letter of Beckwith's (I believe that is the name), Secretary of the Peace Society, informing me of my appointment as delegate to some National Congress. The letter was received nearly six weeks after its date, and only just before my departure. I meant positively to decline, and must beg you to apologize to him and tell him I cannot consent to be considered as a delegate. I have my reasons for this, dear Sumner; I do not wish even to be considered as a member of any peace society. God speed the cause of peace and human brotherhood, and give me strength so to live as to advance it as far as my humble example goes, but I cannot and will not pledge myself to live by their principles.

Ever yours,
S. G. Howe.

SOURCE: Laura E. Richards, Editor, Letters and Journals of Samuel Gridley Howe, Volume 2, p. 312-3

No comments: