Thursday, May 31, 2018

Senator Thomas Hart Benton to Colonel James Patton Preston, December 3, 1826

Washington City, Dec. 3rd, 1826.
Very Dear Sir:

I had the satisfaction to receive a few days before I left home, your kind & friendly letter of Sept. 17th and sincerely thank you for such a proof of your regard. It is now eleven years since our acquaintance & our friendship began, and I look to its commencement as an era in my life and one which is full of consolation in all the consequences which have flowed from it.

Placed upon an elevated theatre at this time, and acting some part there, it is a matter of course that I am to be a mark to one side or the other, and it is perfectly agreeable to me that all the abuse should flow from the side it does; in the mean time I go straight forward with my duties, and leave all this posse of hirelings to their own enjoyments.

The individuals in St. Louis, to whom you hint in your letter, had previously fixed my opinion, and without apparent alteration in my conduct, they are left in a condition to do no harm.

My election came on last week, and I have not the least doubt of the result.

My wife and children are in the finest possible health, and, as you will have understood, are now in Virginia. I expect to show them to you at your own house some vacant summer when I do not go to Missouri; in the meantime I hope it will be some additional inducement in your journey to Richmond this winter or spring, to call at Col. McDowell's.

I send my kindest regards to my aunt Preston, and to all your family, and beg you to believe me to be most truly & sincerely, your friend,

Thomas H. Benton.
Col. J. P. Preston, Smithfield, Vir.

SOURCE: William Montgomery Meigs, The Life of Thomas Hart Benton, p. 131

No comments: