Sunday, June 3, 2018

Samuel Gridley Howe to Charles Sumner, July 9, 1850

11 Gower St., London, July 9th, 1850.

My Dear Sumner: — . . . I did not intend to go into the grand monde here at all, and called on very few persons; but somehow or other we have got in for it, and have engagements for several evenings ahead.

The pleasantest dinner we have had was at Stephenson's, M. P. (the tubular bridge man) who has one of the most beautiful houses in London, fitted with exquisite taste and adorned by choice articles of virtu. Among other things he has the original of Powers' Fisher Boy, which strikes me as the most beautiful and original thing he ever did. The dinner was on ne peut pas mieux: I should say the most remarkable thing about it was the paucity of edibles. Everything was exquisite in appearance and flavour, and yet one had to partake of every dish in order to make as hearty a dinner as one is disposed to after fasting until seven p. M. The portion of soup was very tiny, and eaten with a tiny spoon; the fish just enough to taste; the pièce de resistance only so in name; and so through to the dessert, which was very rich and ample. It is true it was a Sunday dinner, and was called an unceremonious one; I think I observe, however, that there is a great improvement in London dinners, in respect to profusion; there is enough, but only enough. So far as I have seen and known, wine-bibbing has materially diminished. My impression is that the luncheon has risen in public opinion, and that the English are adopting the French déjeuner a là fourchette; they used, I know, long ago, to lunch pretty heartily, but perhaps lunch is now becoming par excellence the meal.

These culinary speculations are very crude and founded on very narrow observation; they are therefore worth little, but then they cost me nothing, and you shall have them, valeant quantum.

I have not called on all my old friends and acquaintances or your friends, being rather shy of seeming to challenge attentions, which in English mean dinners. I shall, before I go, call on Morpeth1 (that was), Ingham and others of your friends. Some have been very, very kind, as Sir H. and Lady Inglis; the first trotted in to see us and welcome us as soon as he heard of us, and the latter brings in her knitting and chats away of an evening with Julia. They are most kind and worthy people.
_______________

1 Earl of Carlisle

SOURCE: Laura E. Richards, Editor, Letters and Journals of Samuel Gridley Howe, Volume 2, p. 314-6

No comments: