Thursday, July 26, 2018

John Brown to George Adams, Boston, November 15, 1859

Charlestown, Jefferson County, Va., Nov. 15, 1859.

My Dear Sir, — Your kind mention of some things in my conduct here which you approve is very comforting, indeed, to my mind. Yet I am conscious that you do me no more than justice. I do certainly feel that through Divine grace I have endeavored to be “faithful in a few things,” mingling with even these much of imperfection. I am certainly “unworthy even to suffer affliction with the people of God;” yet in infinite grace he has thus honored me. May the same grace enable me to serve him in a “new obedience” through my little remainder of this life, and to rejoice in him forever. I cannot feel that God will suffer even the poorest service we may any of us render him or his cause to be lost or in vain. I do feel, dear brother, that I am wonderfully “strengthened from on high.” May I use that strength in “showing His strength unto this generation,” and His power to every one that is to come! I am most grateful for your assurance that my poor, shattered, heart-broken family will not be forgotten. I have long tried to recommend them to “the God of my fathers.” I have many opportunities for faithful plain-dealing with the more powerful, influential, and intelligent classes in this region, which I trust are not entirely misimproved. I humbly trust that I firmly believe that “God reigns,” and I think I can truly say, “Let the earth rejoice!” May God take care of his own cause, and of his own great name, as well as of those who love their neighbors. Farewell!

Yours in truth,
John Brown

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 588-9

No comments: