Monday, July 23, 2018

Samuel Gridley Howe to Charles Sumner, [October or November] 20, 1850

South Boston, [Oct. or Nov.] 20th, 1850.

My Dear Sumner: — It sometimes happens that the familiarity of affection between men lessens the respect for the intellect, so that we may add to the adage, “a prophet is not without honour save in his own country,” the words, “among his friends.” Such, however, has not been my case with regard to you. I find myself always inclined to defer to your judgment. I have, in my misgivings about the morality of the Coalition, comforted myself with the hope that you, having examined the whole ground narrowly, would be able to show me that these misgivings were groundless. You failed to do so the other evening, and I had a painful conviction that our party had failed to act up to the highest dictates of morality.

I have carefully read the article you sent me. No matter who wrote it, it is very unsatisfactory; it only shows that the end was most desirable; it fails to justify the means. The writer says plainly “If they (the Democratic candidates) were not men of anti-slavery sentiments I think the argument is so strong in favour of the Union that I would vote for them, not from choice but from necessity.”

Excuse me, my dear Sumner, but I think that such a sentiment is unworthy of you, or of any who are honoured by your confidence and friendship. Argue as we may, blind our eyes and our consciences as we may, this is doing wrong that right may come out of it.

You will understand how strong is my feeling about it, when I tell you that the only thing which has restrained me from urging you, with all my heart and soul and strength, to accept the opportunity which offers of stepping up to the highest platform in our land and pleading the cause of humanity there, is a misgiving about the political morality of the means by which this opportunity has been presented to you.

If I were ever so selfish I should urge you to secure such an opportunity, because every new laurel that is placed upon your brow brings joy and gladness to my heart. I wish, however, that every leaf should be of perennial greenness, and not that which is bright to-day and next year fadeth away. We must talk about this, for there is yet another view of the matter, and one in which you would seem justified and called upon to accept even the consequences of an unjust coalition.

Ever thine,
S. G. Howe.

SOURCE: Laura E. Richards, Editor, Letters and Journals of Samuel Gridley Howe, Volume 2, p. 326-8

No comments: