Thursday, July 5, 2018

Thomas Wentworth Higginson, January 1859

January, 1859

Barnum has been lecturing here, and sent me a copy of his life with a very good, manly letter. He has heard of some criticisms of mine he thought unjust. . . . I had met him at the W. W. Temperance Convention in New York. I have written him an equally frank reply, telling him that I admire some of his qualities and respect his pecuniary honesty and fidelity to engagements, and that I wish while priding himself on this, he could treat the public to a little truth also occasionally — that being, in my opinion, his one enormous sin.

. . . As for the result of my trial [Anthony Burns riot], I expect a disagreement of the jury. But I don't care much; I shouldn't regret the imprisonment for a few months except for Mary; it would be a good experience, help my influence, and give me a chance to write some things I should be glad to say. But I expect no such thing.

SOURCE: Mary Potter Thacher Higginson, Editor, Letters and Journals of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, 1846-1906, p. 80-1

No comments: