Monday, September 10, 2018

Official Reports of the Campaign in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee, November 14, 1864 — January 23, 1865: No. 106. Reports of Maj. Rhadamanthus H. Dunn and Col. William Cross, Third Tennessee Infantry, of operations December 15-16, 1864.

No. 106.

Reports of Maj. Rhadamanthus H. Dunn and Col. William Cross, Third Tennessee Infantry, of operations December 15-16, 1864.


HDQRS. THIRD TENNESSEE VOLUNTEER INFANTRY,       
In the Field, Tenn., December 22, 1864.

Official report of the operations of the Third Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry in the engagement near Nashville, Tenn., on the 15th and 16th of December, 1864:

At 6 a.m. on the 15th day of December I moved my regiment west from where I was encamped, on the Franklin pike, near Nashville, Tenn., until I struck the Hardin pike, where I passed through the outer line of fortifications surrounding Nashville, and formed my regiment in order of battle, my regiment forming the center of the right wing of the First Brigade. After forming I was ordered forward about half a mile, where the line was halted and lay down, during which time there was a heavy cannonading going on between our forces and the enemy. About 2.30 p.m. I received orders to move to the right and form on the right of the line, then forming the front line. I accordingly moved my regiment forward and to the right. After I had moved to the place to which I was ordered and had my command formed, fronting east, the command “forward” was given. After marching quarter of a mile in line I halted my command a short time near a large field, on the opposite side of which the enemy was posted on commanding points. Soon the command "forward" was given. My command moved forward in order of battle, and half way across the field the enemy opened directly in my front with artillery, when my command moved forward at double-quick time without orders, I having orders to move only at quick time. I then used my utmost endeavor to halt my command, or to bring them to move at the time I was ordered, which I succeeded in doing, and then moved on a short distance, when I ordered my command forward at double-quick time. There was a small force of dismounted cavalry in my front. My command moved forward with or near to the cavalry force, and both the cavalry and my command reached the enemy's position at or near the same time, driving the enemy in confusion and capturing the two pieces of artillery they had posted at this point. I then reformed my command and moved forward at double-quick, charging and driving the enemy from the second point some 300 yards from the first point gained. I then halted and again reformed my command. Here I received orders from General Cooper to hold my command in line on the top of the last hill gained until the command on the left established the line, my command at this time being the right of the brigade and the only regiment that had established the line on the last-named position. Shortly after this (it being about 5 p.m.) I received orders to throw up works in front of my command. Accordingly, as soon as I could obtain tools, I did so, and remained in this position for the night, throwing out a skirmish line, covering my front, according to orders.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
R. H. DUNN,            
Major, Commanding Third Tennessee Volunteer Infantry.


December 16, I remained in position of last night until about 3 p.m., when I received orders to move forward at double-quick in support of a brigade of the Sixteenth Army Corps, which charged and drove the enemy in confusion, after which I halted, and reformed my command as the right of the First Brigade. I then moved forward about a mile in order of battle, and halted, furnishing one commissioned officer and twenty-five enlisted men for picket, and rested for the night.

The casualties of my command are as follows.*

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
WILLIAM CROSS,  
Colonel Third Tennessee Volunteer Infantry.
_______________

* Nominal list (omitted) shows 3 men killed and 8 men wounded.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 45, Part 1 (Serial No. 93), p. 376-7

No comments: