Tuesday, September 18, 2018

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, Sunday, December 12, 1859

New Orleans, La., Sunday, Dec. 12 [1859].

Dear General: . . . Late last night I got the dispatch that the books have been shipped; so I think we may safely count on them in time. I could only after long search find four of the French grammars required by Monsieur St. Ange. So of necessity had to telegraph for one hundred. The steamer leaves New York to-day and ought to be here the 22nd and at Alexandria by the 1st - rather close cutting for us.

All other things I have purchased here. Many things went on Friday by the “Rapides.” I will bring some tomorrow in the “Telegram” and balance will follow next week in the “Rapides.” I have paid in full all bills but furniture and have paid $1,000 toward furniture out of about $1,500. I have drawn only $1,920, but will buy about $50 more of little odds and ends, and bring with me in cash to make up the $2,500. The balance will remain to your credit, and I think you had better meet me at the Seminary about Friday to examine the bills and receipts, to receive the cash I bring up, and to see the kind and quality of furniture. I hear your letter-press, book, brush, etc., cost about $13. You had better come with your buggy and receive it. It had, for convenience, to go with our packages. I have sent up a cooking range, cost $175, and want Jarreau forthwith to move one or more servants out to clean up and get ready.

Many of these items of purchase were hard to find, and my time has been too much taken up to enable me to attempt to make acquaintances. I dined yesterday with your friends, the Frerets, who had many kind inquiries for you.

I have a drum and drummer, also a fife, but thus far have failed to get a tailor or shoemaker. I have examined shoes, boots, clothing, cloth, etc., and know exactly how to order when the time comes.

I have a letter from Bragg which I will show you; he coincides with you in the necessity of making a military academy by law, and wants you to meet him in January at Baton Rouge. Our first paramount duty is to start on present economical basis and enlarge as means are provided. It is easy to increase, but hard to curtail. Unless it be convenient for you to come over, write me at the Seminary, to bring in your press, money, and accounts, and appoint a day and hour, for I must work smart as you know.

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 74-5

No comments: