Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Amos A. Lawrence to Charles L. Robinson, November 1854

You have laid out grounds for a college, and will have a good one, without doubt, in time; but, in the first place, you must have a preparatory school, where the boys shall be fitted for college. It should be for boys, and not for girls. There may be a girls' school too; but the boys should be cared for first. My own impression is that we have fallen into a great error here in Massachusetts, of late years, by raising the standard of female education so high that physical development has been checked, and the constitutions weakened. Our women are good scholars, and good school-mistresses; but they are unhealthy and weak, and do not bear strong children; and while we are refining the intellect, we are injuring the stock. . . .

I wish my finances were so that I could give you an order to go on and build at once; but that is out of the question. My share in the transaction shall be to pay one hundred dollars every month, and I think I can continue to do that, if my health is spared, for some time to come. The only condition which shall be imposed is that you shall not mention to any one, nor intimate to any one, except Mr. Pomeroy (with whom you may advise, you having imposed the same injunction on him), from whence the money proceeds, except that you may say, when it is necessary to do so, that it is sent to you from Massachusetts. Perhaps some one will appear, who will give money to build it up at once, but I know of no one. The building when completed should be a handsome one, and of stone or brick.

SOURCE: William Lawrence, Life of Amos A. Lawrence: With Extracts from His Diary and Correspondence, p. 115-7

No comments: