Sunday, October 7, 2018

Amos A. Lawrence to Reverend Ephraim Nute, December 16, 1856

Boston, December 16, 1856.

Dear Sir, — Some time ago I requested Governor Robinson to spend some money for me in laying the foundation of a “preparatory school” in Lawrence, but the title to the land was imperfect, and the thing was not done. The plan of a preparatory department must be adopted before you can have a college; unless there should be a classical school established by the town. Nevertheless, I wish to see the plan adopted, and to help along its completion. I have thought it over much and it is briefly this, viz.: You shall have a college, which shall be a school of learning, and at the same time a monument to perpetuate the memory of those martyrs of liberty who fell during the recent struggle. Beneath it their dust shall rest. In it shall burn the light of liberty, which shall never be extinguished till it illumines the whole continent. It shall be called the “Free State College,” and all the friends of freedom shall be invited to lend it a helping hand.

Will you oblige me by conversing with Governor Robinson in regard to this, and with any other whom you would consult, but without publicity. I cannot furnish cash for building, but I can give what will be as good for paying expenses after it is up. For instance, having advanced $10,000 to the university at Appleton, Wis., last year, I hold their notes on interest. This is a good institution, and owes little or nothing except this. They have about two hundred thousand dollars’ worth of property, and 450 students on their catalogue. I wish I had money, but fear the time is distant when I shall have more than enough to carry along my plans begun long ago.

With great regard, yours truly,
A. A. L.

SOURCE: William Lawrence, Life of Amos A. Lawrence: With Extracts from His Diary and Correspondence, p. 117-8

No comments: