Wednesday, October 24, 2018

John Brown to George H. Hoyt, November 24, 1859

Charlestown, Jefferson County, Va., Nov. 24, 1859.
George H. Hoyt, Esq.

Dear Sir, — Your kind letter of the 22d instant is received. I exceedingly regret my inability to make you some other acknowledgment for all your efforts in my behalf than that which consists merely in words; but so it is. May God and a good conscience be your continual reward. I really do not see what you can do for me any further. I commend my poor family to the kind remembrance of all friends, but I well understand that they are not the only poor in our world. I ought to begin to leave off saying “our world.” I have but very little idea of the charges made against Mr. Griswold, as I get to see but little of what is afloat. I am very sorry for any wrong that may be done him, but I have no means of contradicting any thing that may be said, not knowing what is said. I cannot see how it should be any more dishonorable for him to receive some compensation for his expenses and service than for Mr. Chilton, and I am not aware that any blame is attached to him on that score. I am getting more letters constantly than I well know how to answer. My kind friends appear to have very wrong ideas of my condition, as regards replying to all the kind communications I receive.

Your friend in truth,
John Brown.

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 601

No comments: