Saturday, November 17, 2018

John Brown to Mary Ann Day Brown, November 26, 1859

Charlestown, Jefferson County, Va., Nov. 26, 1859

. . . I remember the faithful old lady1 well, but presume she has no recollection of me. I once set myself to oppose a mob at Boston, where she was. After I interfered, the police immediately took up the matter, and soon put a stop to mob proceedings. The meeting was, I think, in Marlboro Street Church, or Hotel, perhaps. I am glad to have you make the acquaintance of such old pioneers in the cause. I have just received from Mr. John Jay, of New York, a draft for fifty dollars for the benefit of my family, and will enclose it made payable to your order. I have also fifteen dollars to send to our crippled and destitute unmarried son. When I can I intend to send you, by express, two or three little articles to carry home. Should you happen to meet with Mr. Jay, say to him that you fully appreciate his great kindness both to me and my family. God bless all such friends! It is out of my power to reply to all the kind and encouraging letters I get: I wish I could do so. I have been so much relieved from my lameness for the last three or four days as to be able to sit up to read and write pretty much all day, as well as part of the night; and I do assure you and all other friends that I am quite busy, and none the less happy on that account. The time passes quite pleasantly, and the near approach of my great change is not the occasion of any particular dread.

I trust that God, who has sustained me so long, will not forsake me when I most feel my need of Fatherly aid and support. Should he hide his face, my spirit will droop and die; hut not otherwise, be assured. My only anxiety is to be properly assured of my fitness for the company of those who are “washed from all filthiness,” and for the presence of Him who is infinitely pure. I certainly think I do have some “hunger and thirst after righteousness.” If it be only genuine, I make no doubt I “shall be filled.” Please let all our friends read my letters when you can; and ask them to accept of it as in part for them. I am inclined to think you will not be likely to succeed well about getting away the bodies of your family; but should that be so, do not let that grieve you. It can make but little difference what is done with them.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

You can well remember the changes you have passed through. Life is made up of a series of changes, and let us try to meet them in the best manner possible. You will not wish to make yourself and children any more burdensome to friends than you are really compelled to do. I would not.

I will close this by saying that if you now feel that you are equal to the undertaking, do exactly as you feel disposed to do about coming to see me before I suffer. I am entirely willing.

Your affectionate husband,
John Brown.
_______________

1 Mrs. Mott

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 605-6

No comments: