Monday, December 3, 2018

John Brown to Amos A. Lawrence, March 11, 1857

New Haven, Conn., March 11, 1857.

Dear Sir, — The offer you so kindly made through the telegraph some time since emboldens me to propose the following for your consideration. For one thousand dollars cash I am offered an improved piece of land which with a little property I now have might enable my family, consisting of a wife and five minor children (the youngest not yet three years old), to procure a subsistence should I never return to them; my wife being a good economist, and a real old-fashioned business woman. She has gone through the two past winters in our open cold house, unfinished outside, and not plastered. I have no other income or means for their support. I have never hinted to any one else that I had a thought of asking for any help to provide in any such way for my family, and should not to you, but for your own suggestion. I fully believe I shall get the help I need to operate with West. Last night a private meeting of some gentlemen here voted to raise me one thousand dollars in New Haven, for that purpose. If you feel at all inclined to encourage me in the measure I have proposed I shall be grateful to get a line from you, care of Massasoit House, Springfield, Mass.; and will call when I come again to Boston. I do not feel disposed to weary you with my oft-repeated visitations. I believe I am indebted to you as the unknown giver of one share of Emigrant Aid stock ; as I can think of no other so likely to have done it. Is my appeal right?

Very respectfully your friend,
John Brown.

SOURCE: William Lawrence, Life of Amos A. Lawrence: With Extracts from His Diary and Correspondence, p. 126-7

No comments: