Saturday, December 29, 2018

Pierre-Gustave Toutant. Beauregard to William T. Sherman, January 4, 1860

New Orleans, Jan. 4, 1860.

DEAR SIR: Allow me to introduce to you the bearer, my son Rene T. Beauregard, who goes to report to you under the charge of W. I. N. Reid of this city, for my occupation will not permit me to accompany him. . .

May I take the liberty to ask you to find for my son a proper roommate, one of studious and steady habits who has not seen much of city life and habits, for on this first start in life will depend his future career.

You will no doubt find him a very studious, correct, and upright boy in every respect. I desire fitting him for a commercial life. . .

P.S. I beg you to furnish my son with whatever objects he may have need of during his stay at the Seminary and draw on me for the same.

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 100

No comments: