Tuesday, December 18, 2018

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, January 1, 1860

Seminary, Jan. 1, 1860.

Dear General: A happy New Year to you and yours. . . I see plain enough that the impression is abroad that state cadets are “free” and it will take time and patience to put the matter aright. The first reported cadet is named Tempel from Bayou Sara; he is a state appointee, had with him $37 which he deposited, and I provided with a complete outfit at about $28, bed, table, etc., and he looks quite comfortable in Room 23. He takes his meals with the officers.

Cadet Taliaferro's father remitted for his use $250 in his draft on New Orleans. I propose to pay this to H. Robertson and Company as cash for blankets. I have discharged all carpenters and to-day must settle with them. I will in any contingency act, things here shan't stop or take a check on my account, for as commanding officer I shall assume all power subject at all times to account. I will keep full accounts of all things – money, property, etc., and will only insist that the treasurer shall have no commission on my disbursements. Of course our finances are not on a sound basis, we will be short, but it is all important the cadets should be well provided in all things, that the system should be made to work well, that the institution should have the best credit, and therefore I will pay all bills off and keep the cash system, and if at the end of the year, the cash be short, let the professors' salaries be behind.

As to rank, legislation, etc., I prefer to leave all to you, for you are more fully impressed with the importance of these things than I pretend to be. If Dr. Smith and Mr. Manning have secret designs to legislate against our place, they should be met by friends there on the spot. I think if consistent with your other duties of life, you could be at Baton Rouge, about Governor Moore's inauguration it would be appropriate. To be sure you have labored enough, but having built the arch, drop in the keystone, and then you can rest at ease.

Please encourage the visits of ladies, gentlemen, and all strangers especially to a visit. I will make it a point to attend them, and can do much to convince all that the military system is the truly watchful, parental system, instead of the neglectful one of common academies. Mr. Smith and Mr. St. Ange are with me. Also Mr. Sevier1 all provided a la cadet.

It is fortunate I got my things in New Orleans. Mr. Ford has not delivered a single mattress, and I doubt if he will. I have seventy-five good mattresses, pillows, sheets, covers, straps, etc., for one hundred beds, trusting to Ford for twenty-five mattresses. If cadets come in pretty fast I shall order twenty-five from New Orleans, and refuse to take Ford's because he has not come to time. . .
_______________

1 Dr. John W. Sevier, a veteran of Walker's filibustering expedition, was appointed surgeon and adjutant of the Seminary in December, 1859. - Ed.

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 98-100

No comments: