Tuesday, January 15, 2019

John M. Forbes to Anne Howell Forbes, June 9, 1863

Steamer, June 9,1863.

At nine, through much tribulation, and feeling like an unprotected female in the streets of London, I reached Bingen, “sweetest flower of the Rhine.” Amid a shower of gutturals, I found myself alone as the train moved off, and could only respond with the sesame of “Hotel Victoria,” which, after due German delay, brought me a broad-lipped porter, who took my bag and shawl, and marched me off to the Victoria, dumb to all else. A supper, served by a half-English waiter in a hall much like our White-Mountain-tavern-dining-room, and a decent bed, kept me till 5 A. M., and then, with a cup of coffee, I started to return on my winding way by boat — a wonderful cross of the Dutch galliot, the river raft, and the steamer. I found Bingen to be the northern extremity of the Rhine Highlands, as if you had stopped just above Newburgh (Hudson), — the Rhine being the Hudson, a little variegated by robbers’ castles. Now I am as if below the Palisades (Hudson), in the flat country, having fed on the picturesque mentally, and the Rhine wine and cutlets physically, and being now at leisure from both appetites.

One or two of the sights I have seen would pay for the journey, for they carry one back to the Middle Ages here, as Kenilworth or Warwick do in England. At each bend of the river, and it bends constantly, you find a robbers’ nest commanding it, and generally some valley leading down to it. Some few of these are very beautiful: all are picturesque, whether in ruins, as most of them are, or well preserved. The most beautiful is one on the left or east bank, two hours by steamer below Bingen, — an old castle, well preserved, nestled in a valley which protects it from the east and north, hills rising above it and falling from the base of its towers to the river; hills too steep for culture, so that the castle stands embowered, perched on the hillside, with its round, minaret-looking towers and battlements. Its architectural beauty seems to me exquisite, so bright and graceful; and its surroundings set it off like a gem in the right place.

Then you come to little robber houses, covering less ground than our house, that reminded one of Christie's tower in the “Black Dwarf,” a tower and some sort of outhouse walled in. These are always in ruins; and you have every variation from this, up to the grand castle of Ehrenbreitstein, opposite Coblentz. The general style of these rascals was, however, to seize some point commanding the river, and a side valley leading to it. They all mark the bird of prey, just as the claws and sharp beak do; no ground near them for food, no trees for shelter. Sometimes it takes my glass to make out the ruin. Sometimes the rock goes up to such peaks that you need a glass to know there is not a ruined castle there. Sometimes the castle is low down, right on the river, with its battlemented walls cut through now by the railroad; more often, perched half way up on the shoulder of a hill; almost always a threat, seldom a place of home-like beauty and shelter. Rocks (limestone) often too steep for aught but the bushes which, in living green, now cover them; but wherever there is a chance to terrace, you find little nooks and vineyards.

When you come to Ehrenbreitstein, you have a noble castle, still defensible. Now we are coming to hills less steep and generally vine-covered, but still terraced. None picturesque, like the pine-clad hills of the Adirondacks. Leave out the ruins, and we have many finer sights than the Rhine; but with these, and a heart in tune, I can imagine the enthusiasm of Byron and Bulwer. I have enjoyed it, partly as a rest in the midst of my life of keen anxiety, and more for not expecting any pleasure beforehand. A couple of Germans came on board who spoke no English or French, and who kindly tried, in deep and frantic gutturals, to convey to me their appreciation of the Rhine beauties. I had to shake my head in despair, and turn to my own fountains of inspiration.

SOURCE: Sarah Forbes Hughes, Letters and Recollections of John Murray Forbes, Volume 2, p. 28-30

No comments: