Thursday, February 28, 2019

Codicil to John Brown’s Last Will and Testament, December 2, 1859

Charlestown, Jefferson County, Va., Dec. 2, 1859.

It is my desire that my wife have all my personal property not previously disposed of by me; and the entire use of all my landed property during her natural life; and that, after her death, the proceeds of such land be equally divided between all my then living children; and that what would be a child's share be given to the children of each of my two sons who fell at Harper's Ferry; and that a child's share be divided among the children of my now living children who may die before their mother (my present beloved wife). No formal will can be of use when my expressed wishes are made known to my dutiful and beloved family.

John Brown.

My Dear Wife, — I have time to enclose the within and the above, which I forgot yesterday, and to bid you another farewell. “Be of good cheer,” and God Almighty bless, save, comfort, guide, and keep you to the end!

Your affectionate husband,
John Brown.

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 617

No comments: