Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Colonel Edward F. Jones to Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler, April 26, 1861

WASHINGTON, April 26th, 1861
Gen. B. F. BUTLER, ANNAPOLIS, MD.

MY DEAR GENERAL: I have an opportunity to send to you and embrace it. We are in very good condition, and my boys are pretty well satisfied. My family, as you are aware, is large, and the responsibilities very great, and I have been living in hopes you would soon be with us to take off some of the responsibilities from my shoulders. It has always been my good fortune to be the recipient of unbounded praise in my military career, and believe me it has not lessened in quantity for the last fortnight. Col. Monroe and his regiment arrived last night, also Col. Lawrence and portions of his command yesterday and today. I think that the 8th are in rather a disorganized state, and appear to be very much dissatisfied with their Colonel, and there were many threats that they would not be mustered in under his command. I had the captains together to try and encourage them to do all that was required of them, and not disgrace the Old Bay State by backing down. They promised to do all that I asked of them, and I hope that matters will now go right. However, I think your presence here would be very acceptable to the Mass. troops. I have some 20 letters for you awaiting your orders. I took the liberty of opening a telegram for you, and find that “You are ordered to transfer Company A of Salem, Captain Devereaux, to the Fifth Regiment, said transfer to be made before the Regt. is mustered into the service of the U.S.”

I am very much fatigued to-night as well as every night.

In haste.
E. F. JonES, Col. 6th Mass.

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 50

No comments: