Wednesday, February 6, 2019

George L. Stearns to Mary Hall Stearns, May 7, 1863

[May 7, 1863.]

Yesterday at noon, I learned from Governor Andrew by telegram that he did not intend to raise another regiment. I was thunderstruck. My work for three months would nearly, or quite, fall to the ground. I telegraphed in reply: “You told me to take all the men I could get without regard to regiments. Have two hundred men on the way; what shall I do with them?” The reply came simultaneously with your letter: “Considering your telegraph and Wild's advice, another regiment may proceed; expecting it full in four weeks. Present want of troops will probably prevent my being opposed.” I replied: “I thank God for your telegram received this morning. You shall have the men in four weeks.” Now all is right.

If I had received a refusal to accept more men, my plans were all laid. I should have gone to Washington to-morrow morning, having recalled my transportation agent from the West to take my place here, and have presented a clean-cut plan to Stanton for raising colored regiments, North and South, which I have no doubt he would have accepted. Now I go on with my work again.

SOURCE: Preston Stearns, The Life and Public Services of George Luther Stearns, p. 291

No comments: