Monday, March 4, 2019

George L. Stearns to Mary Hall Stearns, about May 15, 1863

[Buffalo, New York.]

I comfort myself with the belief that this is our appointed work. I did not seek it; it sought me out. You did not seek it, but the divine spirit within you impelled the work which was so contrary to all your ideas of a happy life; and now we fully understand each other and the work that is before us. A sweet peace has come to my soul, so sweet that I welcome the sadness that comes with it.

I have no news of importance to write you except that Casimir has plead guilty to the theft, and has been sentenced to four years and six months' hard labor in the state prison of Kansas. How terrible the career of one so young and gifted. He writes that he could endure it if he was not obliged to work in the streets of Leavenworth with a ball and chain attached to his leg. My heart bleeds for him. With a career of useful and honorable service open to him, he has sacrificed all to a mean and pitiful vanity.

SOURCE: Preston Stearns, The Life and Public Services of George Luther Stearns, p. 293-4

No comments: