Friday, June 28, 2019

George Mason Graham to William T. Sherman, Sunday, January 15, 1860 — 1:50 p.m.

Tyrone Plantation, Sunday, 1:15 p.m., January 15, 1860.

Dear Sir: Captain Jarreau has just left here, after bringing me yours of Friday night. I can well comprehend the pressure on your time, which keeps you constantly busy, and therefore makes you write hurriedly. I have more letters on hand now myself than I shall ever have time to answer. You were in this sort of hurry when you wrote me on the eleventh. . .

I entirely approve and authorize your suggestions in regard to approaches and enclosures. You will see where I formerly had the gate put, in the neighborhood of where [you] propose to put it now, with the express view to avoid injury to the front ground. Its removal to its present site was the work of more thoughtful heads that succeeded me.

In regard to the fencing, pine posts, whether sawed or split, will rot off very quick, the more lasting is the chinkapin, of which a good deal is generally to be found in the ravines and branch bottoms. If you cannot get it convenient to yourself the Pinewood's wagoners can get it for you, if they will. The gates I would move immediately. . .

Rest assured that I neither have made nor will make any use of Colonel Bragg's or your brother's letters to you that you could yourself object to, although you could not show them to those that I can. The only persons I have shown them to are Dr. Smith, Mr. Manning, Captain Elgee, and Mr. Halsey and Goodwin in my room at Mr. Fellows' on Thursday night, and I should now return them to you but that there is one other person I am desirous to show them to. I showed them to Mr. Halsey not as an editor, yet because he is an editor too, in order that he might in that capacity say nothing ignorantly, but principally from the estimation in which I hold him as a gentlemanly and right minded man, as far as the occupation, that of a hired partizan editor, he is engaged in, will permit. . .

I think the declaration of your brother in the House in one of the early days of the present session of Congress, and in the debate on the President's message in 1856, republished in the National Intelligencer of the twentieth ult. ought to be sufficient for any thinking, reflecting southern man, who has reason enough in him to admit of a difference of opinion between himself and other people.

Demagogical politicians and partizan editors make all the mischief. Since 1830-1833, I have always believed and never hesitate to express myself so on all occasions, that southern people of the above classes, many of them northern and eastern born, have had quite as much to do with producing the troubles of the country as any body else.

For yourself, my dear Sir, if I had never seen you at all, a knowledge of the facts that you had passed through the Military Academy, had served and resided in the south, and enjoyed the confidence and friendship of Colonel Bragg, was enough for me. The use that I desired to make of your letters was to forestall any apprehensions on the minds of others, not to remove any that I knew of. Am truly glad to learn from you that your own mind is quiet on this point.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 122-4

No comments: