Sunday, June 23, 2019

Official Reports of the Campaign in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee, November 14, 1864 — January 23, 1865: No. 151. Report of Lieut. Col. William B. Britton, Eighth Wisconsin Infantry, of operations December 15-16, 1864.

No. 151.

Report of Lieut. Col. William B. Britton, Eighth Wisconsin Infantry,
of operations December 15-16, 1864.

SIR: The following is the part the Eighth Wisconsin took in the battles of Nashville, December 15 and 16, 1864:

I received orders on the night of the 14th to have my regiment in readiness to move at 6 o'clock on the following morning. At 8 a.m. the regiment moved out of camp on the Charlotte pike about one mile. I was here ordered to move left in front, to throw out one company on my right flank as skirmishers to guard against surprise. Company K, under command of Lieutenant Fellows, was detailed for this purpose. I advanced in this position about half a mile. The enemy was here discovered. I at this time sent forward Company H, under command of Lieutenant Ellsworth, to skirmish and feel the enemy in front. This company was in a short time hotly engaged. I was here ordered to file my regiment left, and passed over to the Hillsborough pike. Here I formed in line of battle, on the left of the brigade, and moved forward about three-quarters of a mile, with Company F, Lieutenant Greenman, in front skirmishing, having at this time three companies out in this position. We moved forward until we encountered the enemy and drove them 300 yards. Came to a halt to support batteries at this time engaged. Lay in line of battle here one hour under fire of rebel batteries. At about 1 p.m. was ordered to move, with still another company out as skirmishers. Company D, Captain Williams, was thrown forward, followed by the regiment. Advanced to within 300 yards of the rebel works; skirmishers moving up to the very ditch of the fort, silencing the guns. According to instructions, I here formed in the rear of the Fifth Minnesota in column of regiments; received orders to follow that regiment and assault the rebel works. The advance was sounded, and I followed the Fifth twenty paces in the rear and participated in the assault, capturing at this time several prisoners. After capturing the fort the regiment swung considerably to the left to cut off the retreat of rebels from the fort. Finding myself flanked I notified Colonel Hubbard, commanding the brigade, who ordered me at once to change my regiment at right angles with the advance line, which I did, and in a short time was prepared for the enemy. Two of my companies here joined me from skirmishing. Company B, under Sergeant Stewart, with Company D, was moved to the left of the regiment as flankers. They at once encountered a heavy force on the pike, behind stone walls. I changed front forward with the regiment and moved in line of battle to the pike. A halt was here sounded, and we lay directly across the pike about thirty minutes. Was ordered forward with my regiment left oblique. After passing the pike about 200 yards another charge was ordered. We took the double-quick and went forward splendidly, capturing quite a number of prisoners, among them a rebel major and several other officers. At this time we had flanked the rebel works. Companies B and D, on the flank, coming forward on a charge, captured fully 200 prisoners and 2 pieces of artillery. We drove the rebels here about one mile. Darkness coming on we bivouacked here for the night. This day the regiment captured fully 225 prisoners and 2 pieces of artillery, with a loss of only 2 killed and 9 wounded.

On the morning of the 16th the regiment was in line at daylight. About 8 a.m. was ordered to move forward on the left of the Eleventh Missouri. I formed as ordered. Before moving from this position was ordered to move to the rear and center of the brigade as a reserve or support. I moved as ordered until we met the enemy about 400 yards to the front, my left resting near the Granny White pike. We here lay down in line of battle. This was about 9 a.m. We here lay until about 3 p.m. under fire of artillery and infantry. I had several men wounded while lying in this position. At 3 p.m., the grand charge being ordered, the regiment moved forward in good style: at double-quick, under a heavy fire of musketry and artillery, capturing a great many prisoners, two stand of colors, carrying the enemy's last line of works, and shared with other regiments in the capture of the batteries, both on our right and left. After passing the enemy's works we pushed forward fully a mile beyond, taking in prisoners at every step. Colonel Hubbard here ordered me to halt my regiment to let the men close up. I lay here about fifteen minutes, the regiment all the while pouring in volley after volley at the retreating rebels. My skirmishers here captured three pieces of artillery in the road. I moved the regiment forward to a position on the hills, about one mile beyond this point and two miles in the rear of the works captured. It was now becoming dark; the regiment was ordered to bivouac for the night. This day the regiment lost 5 killed and 46 wounded.

I think it will not be claiming too much when I say the regiment captured in the two days' battle a full battery of artillery, two stand of colors, and at least 500 men, and as many small-arms.

The regiment behaved gallantly — all, both officers and men.

I have the honor to be, lieutenant, your most obedient servant,
W. B. BRITTON,      
Lieut. Col., Comdg. Eighth Regiment Wisconsin Veteran Vols.
Lieut. T. P. GERE,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 45, Part 1 (Serial No. 93), p. 457-8

No comments: