Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Sophia Birchard Hayes, April 9, 1864

Camp White, April 9, i864.

Dear Mother: — It is wet and stormy weather, but we are all safely sheltered and care nothing for wind or rain.

I am very glad you can write so cheerfully as you did in your last letter. If you could see what I see every day you would think the people of the North were blessed indeed. I feel confident that we are more than half through with the work of crushing [the] Rebellion.

I send you this time the writing of my grandfather [about his ancestors]. It will interest you a great deal. I would be glad if you would preserve it or send it to Uncle Birchard for him to keep for me. I wish you would write me a similar account of your ancestors. Mrs. Wasson's excellent memory of dates and names may aid you.

Affectionately, your son,
Rutherford.
Mrs. Sophia Hayes.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 453

No comments: