Sunday, August 25, 2019

Henry Clay to John J. Crittenden, August 22, 1825

Washington, August 22, 1825.

Dear Crittenden, — Upon my arrival here, yesterday, I found your agreeable favor of the 7th instant. Although it is a moment of severe affliction with me, I cannot refuse myself the satisfaction of addressing a line to you. I rejoice most heartily in the event of our elections. I rejoice in your election, to which I attach the greatest importance. I rejoice that the vile and disgusting means employed to defeat you have failed, as they ought to have failed. Your presence in the House will be highly necessary. The pruning-knife should be applied with a considerate and steady hand. The majority should dismiss from their minds all vindictive feelings, and act for the good and the honor of Kentucky, and for the preservation of her constitution. You will have some trouble in preserving the proper temper, but you should do it; nothing should be done from passion or in passion. Undoubtedly restore the constitutional judges, repeal bad laws, but preserve good ones, even if they have been passed by the late dominant party. When you have the power of appointment, put in good and faithful men, but make no stretches of authority even to get rid of bad ones. Such would be some of my rules if I were a member of the G. Assembly. I hope we shall preserve the public peace with Georgia, notwithstanding the bad humor of her governor. Nor do we intend that the treaty with the Creeks shall be executed before the time fixed by its own stipulations for its execution, which, happily, will again bring that instrument in review before Congress.

Your faithful friend,
Henry Clay.
Respects and congratulations to Harvie.

John J. Crittenden.

SOURCE: Mrs. Chapman Coleman, The Life of John J. Crittenden, Volume 1, p. 62

No comments: