Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Colonel Theodore S. Bowers to Brigadier-General John Rawlins, August 12, 1864


. . . If the movement succeeds it will give us Richmond. The prospects are fair. Indeed my expectations are up to the highest pitch. After debating the subject seriously I this morning telegraphed you to come up by the first train. I was not only agonizing to have you here but I feared you would think me unfaithful if I neglected to recall you on the eve of important action. I know the General would be rejoiced to have you present but his solicitude for your restoration to health would prevent his sending for you as long as he could. I think when I see you you will approve my action in telegraphing you to return.

James Harrison Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 257

No comments: