Sunday, June 21, 2020

Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant to Lydia Slocum, August 10, 1864

Head-quartees Armies Of The U. S.
CitY Point, Va., Aug. 10, 1864.
Mrs. LYdia Slocum:

My Dear Madam:—Your very welcome letter of the 3d instant has reached me. I am glad to know that the relatives of the lamented Major-General McPherson are aware of the more than friendship existing between him and myself. A nation grieves at the loss of one so dear to our nation's cause. It is a selfish grief, because the nation had more to expect from him than from almost any one living. I join in this selfish grief, and add the grief of personal love for the departed. He formed, for some time, one of my military family. I knew him well; to know him was to love. It may be some consolation to you, his aged grandmother, to know that every officer and every soldier who served under your grandson felt the highest reverence for his patriotism, his zeal, his great, almost unequaled ability, his amiability, and all the manly virtues that can adorn a commander. Your bereavement is great, but cannot exceed mine.

Yours truly,
U. S. Grant.

SOURCE: Phineas Camp Headley, The Life and Campaigns of General U. S. Grant, p. 518

No comments: