Thursday, July 9, 2020

Lieutenant-Colonel Robert E. Lee, June 2, 1860

[San Antonio, 2d of June, 1860]

In a letter to Charlotte written since my return, I expressed the gratification I felt at the compliment paid me in your intention to call my first grandchild after me. I wish I could offer him a more worthy name and a better example. He must elevate the first and make use of the latter to avoid the errors I have committed. I also expressed the thought that under the circumstances you might like to name him after his great-grandfather, and wish you both "upon mature consideration” to follow your inclinations and judgment. I should love him all the same, and nothing could make me love you two more than I do. . . . .

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 113

No comments: