Sunday, October 25, 2020

Jonathan Worth to Reverend James McNeill, March 16, 1861

Asheboro, March 16th, 1861.

You will please discontinue sending me the Presbyterian. Great as is my personal regard for you, I can not regard it as consistent with my sense of duty to patronize a paper, even if it were a political one, which advocates Secession and seeks to alienate one section of this country against the other. I view with abhorrence both Secession and Abolition, both equally tending and aimed, without sufficient cause, at the subversion of the Government.

[The remainder of the letter is illegible except for the following postscript]: 

I object to any commentary on this communication through the press. I have directed my brother, J. A. Worth, to call on you and pay up my arrearage.

SOURCE: J. G. de Roulhac Hamilton, Editor, The Correspondence of Jonathan Worth, Volume 1, p. 135

No comments: