Saturday, December 26, 2020

Jonathan Worth to Alfred G. Foster and William J. Long,* June 3, 1861

ASHEBORO, June 3, '61. 

I have long entertained the opinion that the best interests of the State required that the convention resume the general legislative power, and that the General Assembly ought not again to convene, which I believe I expressed to both of you, being, as I think, in the interim of Convention a disposition to do so, I take occasion again to say my first impression gains strength as I reflect on it. Your body was solicited in reference to the monstrous changes in the government, and is a far abler body than the Genl. Assembly. It is less numerous and therefore more efficient and less expensive.

I have yet fully to realize my condition. Abolition and Democracy moved and instigated by the Devil, have compelled me to choose one or the other as my master. Regarding Democracy as for the better master I have marched under her banner—am laboring as becomes a liege subject. I am attending the gatherings and doing my best to get volunteers. We are making good headway. The sheriff will tell you all about it.

Cannot one of you find time to give me the under current views in relation to your body?

_______________

* Members of the Convention of 1861 from Randolph county.

SOURCE: J. G. de Roulhac Hamilton, Editor, The Correspondence of Jonathan Worth, Volume 1, p. 153-4

No comments: