Sunday, December 27, 2020

William T. Sherman to Thomas Ewing, February 12, 1860

SEMINARY, Feb. 12, 1860.

DEAR SIR: Roelofson1 arrived yesterday at about 11 a.m. I was on the point of hearing a Spanish recitation, the regular professor being sick. I read your letter of January 14 with great care and told Roelofson I had received other letters and a copy of the resolutions of the informal meeting at Cincinnati, January

As the case at that moment stood I admitted I should prefer his proposition to the terms of my present engagement, but that no consideration could induce me to leave here without the willing concurrence of the gentlemen with whom I have acted. We accordingly started for Alexandria where we found General Graham and five other members of the board in informal session. I placed in their hands all the papers and informed them orally of R's presence. I did not resign. I did nothing, but allowed them to infer the conclusion. I also told General Graham that of course if the present legislature did not act that the Seminary could not maintain its ground.

They passed this informal resolution, a quorum not being present: 

RESOLVED that we deeply regret the prospect of losing the valuable services of Major Sherman as superintendent of the Seminary of Learning.

 

RESOLVED that we deem him eminently qualified as a gentleman and disciplinarian, that we will do everything in our power to retain his services; but in consideration of his private affairs we will yield with regret to his declination but hope it will not be necessary.

 

G. MASON GRAHAM and five others.

I advised General G. some days ago that Roelofson was coming and he immediately wrote to Governor Moore and Dr. Smith, senator from this parish, proposing that they should at once make me a distinct guarantee of a good house and a salary of $5,000, and yesterday they asked me if I would delay any action for ten days. General Graham stated the whole case fairly to Roelofson and after consultation we agreed that I might remain silent and uncommitted for ten days.

The Board seem to attach vast importance to my services. I acted summarily and decisively in several cases last week in which they sustained me, and I keep affairs here so regular and systematic that they seem determined to hold on. My mind is therefore made up that if the state endow the Seminary with twenty-five thousand dollars a year for two years, allow me to build a good house for my family and pay me five thousand dollars a year I will stay. Otherwise I will resign, and give them a reasonable time to replace me, and come north about April 1. I am bound to determine conclusively and finally on the 21st inst. and I will cause Roelofson to be telegraphed from New Orleans of the final conclusion. I left Roelofson last night in Alexandria with this agreement, to which he assented. He said he would be in Cincinnati the eighteenth, when he will write you fully. He seemed pleased at our beautiful Seminary but regarded it as a kind of exile. Either of the schemes now at my choice is good, and I will choose that which has the best future chances and least risks. I can't afford to run any more risks, and have been buffeted about enough.
________________ 

1 Agent of the capitalists who wished Sherman to represent them in England.- ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 160-1

No comments: