Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, Sunday Evening, September 4, 1864

CAMP NEAR BERRYVILLE, September 4, (1864). 
Sunday evening. 

DEAREST:— We had one of the fiercest fights yesterday I was ever in. It was between the South Carolina and Mississippi Divisions under General Kershaw and six regiments of the Kanawha Division. My brigade had the severest fighting, but in loss we none of us suffered as might have been expected. We were under cover except when we charged and then darkness helped. We whipped them, taking about one hundred prisoners and killing and wounding a large number. Captain Gillis was killed, shot near the heart, Captain Austin dangerously wounded through the right shoulder, George Brigdon, my color bearer, bearing the brigade flag, mortally wounded. Only ten others of [the] Twenty-third hurt. Sixty in the brigade killed or wounded. Captain Gillis was a noble, brave man, a good companion, cheerful and generous - a great loss to us. The Rebel army is again just before us. 

It was a pleasant battle to get through, all except the loss of Gillis and Brigdon and Austin. I suppose I was never in so much danger before, but I enjoyed the excitement more than ever before. My men behaved so well. One regiment of another division nearly lost all by running away. The Rebels were sure of victory and run (ran) at us with the wildest yells, but our men turned the tide in an instant. This was the crack division of Longstreet. They say they never ran before. 

Darling, I think of you always. My apprehension and feeling is a thousand times more for you than for myself. I think we shall have no great battle. We are again entrenched here. Our generals are cautious and wary.–Love to all. The dear boys, God bless them. 

Affectionately ever, your 
R. 
MRS. HAYES. 

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 502-3

No comments: