Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Major Charles Wright Wills: February 11, 1865

Seven miles west of Orangeburg, S. C.,
February 11, 1865.

Made 18 miles to-day. Crossed South Edisto river in rear of the corps. The river here is about 40 yards wide, with a swift current, water very clear. First 10 miles to-day was through pretty good country, the last eight miles mostly pine forest with more rolling ground than I have seen since we left the Oconee river in Georgia. Received my commission as major to-day, also two letters from you dated November 3d and January 4th. I ask pardon for thinking that you did not write regularly. The fault must be in the mails. All kinds of rumors afloat to-night of peace, war, and I don't know what all. We came near being burned up last night, the fire crept along through the pine leaves and burned my vest, partly, and ruined my jacket, and almost spoiled my overcoat, all of which were under my head. Also burned the colonel's pillow. The flames bursting up woke us, and I expect our first motion would have amused a very solemn man.

SOURCE: Charles Wright Wills, Army Life of an Illinois Soldier, p. 343-4

No comments: