Wednesday, May 12, 2021

A. J. Phelps to William Prescott Smith, October 17, 1859, 11 a.m.

Ellicott's Mills, March, 17th, 1859,
11 A. M.        
W. P. Smith,

My dispatch was not exaggerated, neither was it written under excitement as you suppose. I have not made it half as bad as it is. The Captain told me, that his object was to liberate all the slaves, and that he expected a reinforcement of 1500 men to assist him. Hayward, the negro porter, was shot through the body, and I suppose by this time, is dead. The Captain also said, he did not want to shed any more blood.

I will call at your office immediately on my arrival, and tell you all. One of my passengers was taken prisoner and held as such for some time. I will bring him to see you also.

A.J. PHELPS.

SOURCE: B. H. Richardson, Annapolis, Maryland, Publisher, Correspondence Relating to the Insurrection at Harper's Ferry, 17th October, 1859, p. 6

No comments: