Monday, August 9, 2021

Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, Wednesday, November 2, 1864

CAMP AT CEDAR CREEK, VIRGINIA, NOVEMBER 2, 1864.

MY DARLING: — We get trains through from Martinsburg regularly once in four days. We return them as often. I try to write you by every regular train. We hope to get mails with each train.

We have had most charming weather all the fall. Our camps are healthful and pleasant, but we all are looking forward to the "going into winter quarters" with impatience. We suppose a week or two more here will finish the campaign. Then a week or two of disagreeable marching and delays and then rest.

My tent and "fixin's” are as cozy as practicable. If my darling could share them with me, I could be quite content. I never was so anxious to be with you. This has been one of the happy periods with me. I have had only one shadow over me. You know Captain Hastings was severely wounded at the battle of Winchester, September 19. For three or four weeks he has been in a most critical condition. I have had a feeling that he would get well. I still hope, but all agree that his chance is very slight. He may live a month or die at any time. He is the best man whose friendship I have formed since the beginning of the war.

Doctor is well and has a great deal of enjoyment. We still think we shall have no more heavy fighting this fall. General Duffie was captured by Mosby! He was to marry Miss Jeffries soon (the younger).

R.
MRS. HAYES.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 532-3

No comments: