Sunday, December 26, 2021

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Julia Dent Grant, June 9 1863

June 9th 1863.
DEAR JULIA,

I wrote to you by every courier I was sending back up to the Capture of Jackson. Having written to you to start for Vicksburg as soon as you heard the place was taken, and thinking that would be before another letter would reach you, I wrote no more. You may start down as soon as you receive this letter. If Vicksburg is not in our hands then you can remain on board the steamer at the landing with the prospect of my calling to gee you occationally. I have enjoyed most excellent health during the campaign, so has Fred. Fred, has enjoyed his campaign very much. He has kept a journal which I have never read but suppose he will read to you. The Pony, "Little Rebel," which I have got for Miss & Jess, is the smallest horse I ever saw. I want you to get saddles for both the children. The saddle I had for Jess was a very old one and being rode by persons too large for it it broke to pieces and had to be thrown away. I can tell you but little about matters here. We are up close to the enemy's forts and so far as the present force is concerned we must capture them. The enemy however may make a desperate effort to get a force outside of me to relieve the present garrison. If they do I occupy one of the strongest imaginable positions. I have ordered all the troops from West Tennessee that can possibly be spared from there. In addition to this other troops are coming from Kentucky and Mo. With the whole of them there is but little doubt but that I can hold out against anything likely to be brought against me. I want to see you very much dear Julia and also our dear little children.

Good bye
Ulys.
SOURCE: John Y. Simon, Editor, The Papers of Ulysses S. Grant, Volume 8, p. 332

No comments: