Monday, January 31, 2022

William T. Sherman to Ellen Ewing Sherman, March 30, 1860

ALEXANDRIA, March 30, 1860.

. . . I wrote you from Louisville and Memphis. The boat was elegant and landed me at ten o'clock Wednesday night on the wharf boat at Red River and at two o'clock same night the boat “Morning Light” came along, and Clay1 and I embarked, reaching Alexandria yesterday at sundown. I rode him out last evening. He is, you will be pleased to hear, in fine condition well pleased with the trip and has no dread of steamboats. He had a fine opportunity to study steam engine, and is now familiar with all the parts. The cadets seemed glad to see me, and in their new uniforms they looked finely. Everything has worked well in my absence, and now I can begin to provide for the future. I shall be pretty busy next week in making up the accounts and sending the results to parents. The Board of Supervisors have only awaited my return, and will soon meet and consider and order the improvements, enlargements, etc., embracing the new professors' houses. Of course, the style and general plans of these will rest with me, and I will try and get as good houses as possible for the money. With tri-weekly mails and no telegraphs we are as much out of the world here as a hermit could desire.

I find the trees in full leaf, the dogwood in blossom, and the season about a month in advance of Ohio. The sun is agreeably warm, but the evenings are cool enough for a small fire.

The wedding of Captain Lindsey and daughter of Judge Boyce came off some time since and Miss Ann Patterson is now at the plantation, twenty-four miles off. She has visited the Seminary and two of the professors were so pleased with her, that they are going to ride up tomorrow. I shall avail myself of some opportunity to call when she comes to Alexandria. Mrs. Isaacs is to start for Washington tomorrow and I will ride in to see her for a few minutes and as it will afford me an opportunity to register this letter, I enclose a hundred dollar bank bill. I can't get any drafts on the North here now. This is a risky mode of remitting money, but I must make it. Give my love to all the children and folks at Lancaster. . .

_______________

1 A horse brought from Ohio. - ED.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 194-5

No comments: