Monday, January 31, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, March 21, 1860

S.S. JOHN RAINE, Louisville, Ky., March 21, 1860.

DEAR GENERAL: I have already written you that I have declined the London proposition, and that I retain my place at the Seminary, withdrawing my proposed resignation. I am now enroute for Alexandria having left Lancaster Monday. I might be at Vicksburg by railroad the day after tomorrow, but I have taken this boat here and will reach Red River about Thursday next and, I hope, the Seminary the next day — the reason of my taking the boat here is that I have with me a valuable horse that I do not think should or could be safely conveyed without my being along and I am well assured that I am on the swiftest boat going down. The "John Raine" is the regular New Orleans packet.

I hope the Board of Supervisors will have organized under the new law, that it will have instituted the measures to build the two professors' houses and the fencing so that the summer will find them well advanced. I do not bring my family because there is no house for them, and because I think they will be better to remain in Ohio till Fall. I shall count on remaining in Louisiana all summer in place of this opportune leave of absence.

I received at Lancaster your letter enclosing the copy of your correspondence with Governor Moore, which you will remember you showed me in your letter book and the Governor's reply. Still these copies were most acceptable to my friends and show them the strong inducements I had for choosing Louisiana in preference to London.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 192-3

No comments: