Friday, February 25, 2022

Andrew Hunter to William Preston Smith, November 4, 1859

Charlestown, November 4th, 1859.
Wm. Prescott Smith, Esq.,

My Dear Sir:

This is the first moment of leisure I have found, to acknowledge receipt of your favor of the 25th ult., enclosing me important papers connected with the late outrage at Harper's Ferry.

I will take the best possible care of them, and do my utmost to return them safely, when the trials shall have been ended.

Necessarily, however, divers[e] persons must have access to and handle them with the mass of other papers, received from other quarters, but I will endeavor to keep all safely.

Very truly,
Your obedient servant,
ANDREW HUNTER.

SOURCE: B. H. Richardson, Annapolis, Maryland, Publisher, Correspondence Relating to the Insurrection at Harper's Ferry, 17th October, 1859, p. 39

No comments: