Monday, February 14, 2022

Gov. Thomas O. Moore to George Mason Graham, February 21, 1860

BATON ROUGE, Feb. 21, 1860.

DEAR SIR: . . . I have had but little conversation with Major Sherman relative to the Seminary, my time during the sitting of the legislature being so constantly occupied with business in my new sphere, that I am too much wearied when I get from the State House to think of anything but rest. The Major has been absent in the city two days, which I did not know until yesterday. . . I went to the Harney House to invite him to take a room at my house, as I had a comfortable one, and would have him with me, where I could talk to him at my leisure, and will invite him as soon as he returns to do so, and will do all I can to induce him to remain at the head of the Seminary.

I do not feel disposed to make myself responsible with others for the $5,000 salary, as, if it were necessary for the Board of Supervisors to give the amount to retain him, and I should be in favor of it, it might be supposed or charged that I was so, from the fact that I have guaranteed to him the amount.

With the amount now on hand and that, that Dr. Smith hopes to have appropriated, we can afford to give the Major an additional one thousand dollars which I trust will retain him, but I would agree to the five thousand dollars sooner than lose him, and have no doubt the Board would vote it. . .

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 181-2

No comments: