Monday, February 28, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, April 26, 1860

LOUISIANA STATE SEMINARY, Alexandria, April 26,1860.

DEAR GENERAL: I will send as usual for the mail to-day and I suppose you will expect to hear from me. There is nothing new. All things move along. We have a new cadet, No. 61, Cadet Bogan, nephew of Bogan of Alexandria. I expect the Board on Saturday. I have made plans and elevations of a very good house that Mills will undertake to erect by October 15, at $5,000. As this matter is of much importance and interest maybe, if you have room it would be well to pick him up and bring him out. There are one or two slight modifications in his plan that I would make and his assent should be obtained. It will be cutting close to finish well at our figures. We at one time thought of a plan that would admit of additions and alterations as we became better able, but on reflection I concluded it would be wisest to adhere to the idea of finishing absolutely for the money appropriated, as new wants will arise faster than our means.

As for the treasurership, until you intend to employ assistants to mathematics and English to whom could be assigned the duties of treasurer and librarian, I would prefer to wag along as now, getting Dr. Clarke and the drummer to help me in posting. I don't think you can waste a cent on any sinecure office. You know in large bills, there is no trouble in paying — it is in the small items which [are] necessarily innumerable.

Some days ago some cadets handed me a subscription-list for a "May party.” I returned it to them because the sums were unequal and too large – from one dollar to five dollars. I explained to a few of the oldest cadets that I would not oppose a moderate May party on a Saturday or maybe of a Friday night after the week's study was over, but all concerned must be equal, and share alike, and the expense should not exceed a dollar or dollar and half each, but that no further steps should be taken till Saturday that I might submit the financial question to the Board.

Last night Gus Jarreau brought me out a printed copy of the invitation for Friday next two weeks. They are crazy to show their uniforms to the girls and as they have really made good progress in study and drill, and cannot have a party at examination — midsummer — I think we had better permit it. I can control the invitations and expense, and see they are proper and moderate. My opinion is that the studies and military exercises being regular and thorough, relaxation and amusement outside thereof will be salutary. I hope the Board will take this view of it, as it is very important that these cadets when they go forth should be content and enthusiastic in favor of our system. Some may think this wrong but too much study made Jack a dull boy.

Every Friday evening "all hands” attend in the large section room to declaim. After they are through I generally speak half an hour or so on some interesting piece of history. They take great interest in it; next Friday I must in connection with my last, approach and maybe recount the leading events of the Conquest of California. Although not liking a critical audience, if you happen to be here on Friday night, you may be admitted, but if a critical audience ever comes, I'll produce St. Ange, the orator of our institution.

The elegant Black of St. Ange is a "sell.” After his drive to Judge Boyce's and back he struck dead lame. St. Ange is bound to have a lawsuit because he bought under warrantee from one Levy of Alexandria and gave his note, negotiable of course, at six months for two hundred fifty dollars. His letter to Levy is a masterpiece – but I doubt much if it produce any other effect than to give him time to transfer his negotiable paper. I would give one hundred dollars to be free to take Levy's case – put St. Ange on the stand and make him describe his drive to Judge Boyce's and back – he first described the journey as enough to kill any horse, but now that his horse is lame he insists it was a sweet ride and not enough to hurt a colt. There is plenty of fun in the cause. Tell the lawyers the case is worth five hundred dollars cash.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 209-11

No comments: