Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Official Reports of the Campaign in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee, November 14, 1864-January 23, 1865: No. 226. — Reports of Col. Jairus W. Hall, Fourth Michigan Infantry, of operating November 17-21, 1864.

No. 226.

Reports of Col. Jairus W. Hall, Fourth Michigan Infantry, of operating November 17-21, 1864.

HUNTSVILLE, November 21, 1864.

General Granger directs me to telegraph you the following report of Colonel Hall, Fourth Michigan, who pursued the rebels that tore up the railroad on Saturday morning:

BROWNSBOROUGH, November 20, 1864.

Colonel LYON:


I found Russell yesterday at dusk at Duckett's plantation, on Paint Rock River. Drove him two miles, and scattering him to the mountains, captured his camp, several horses, saddles, &c., also rations and forage for my command. It being nearly dark, could do nothing more. Took his track this morning at daylight, but soon found he was too far in advance for successful pursuit. I know of four rebels killed, if not five; we have their guns. One of our men wounded in shoulder. Russell has doubtless gone toward Fayetteville. A force from the other direction will be apt to meet him.

J. W. HALL,  

Colonel, &c.


W. P. LYON,
Colonel, Commanding.
Brig. Gen. W. D. WHIPPLE.
________________

HEADQUARTERS FOURTH REGIMENT MICHIGAN INFANTRY,        
Larkinsville, Ala., November 21, 1864.

SIR: I have respectfully to report that, in compliance with orders received, I proceeded to Brownsborough and assumed command of a force assembled there, numbering 394 men, of which 145 were mounted. At 3 o'clock on the morning of the 17th I moved on the New Market road. At Maysville my advance was fired upon by a picket of the enemy, which detained the command about fifteen minutes. I then proceeded to within four miles of New Market, and took the road leading over the mountains to Jones' Cove, where I was informed the enemy were encamped the day previous. Arrived at Mr. Sandsley's plantation at 8.30 a.m., and being informed that the enemy 500 strong were three miles in advance, I halted the command for dinner. I then set the column in motion, and after ten minutes' march came upon the <ar93_637>enemy in line of battle on the side of the mountain, and advanced upon him with a strong line of skirmishers, from which he retreated. It then became a running fight. As fast as the infantry could march I drove him around and over the mountains, up Hurricane Branch five miles beyond New Market, killing 9 and wounding 3 or 4, including 1 commissioned officer, which he took with him or secreted in such a manner that we could not find them. It then being dark I returned to New Market in order to have possession of the different roads. The following morning being cloudy and rainy, and the roads becoming bad, and the infantry having marched twenty-one miles the day before, I decided that it was impossible to keep up with Russell, as he ran too fast even for our mounted force. I then returned to Brownsborough, which I reached before dark. The following morning about 9 o'clock I was informed that the railroad had been torn up five miles north. A train being at hand I took all the infantry forces then at Brownsborough and proceeded to the place of destruction, leaving orders for Captain Givens to move with the mounted force to that point as soon as possible. The force under him, numbering 124 men, reached there at 11.45 a.m. I then proceeded on Russell's track, coming up with him at dusk at Duckett's plantation, near Paint Rock River. Dismounting all the Enfield rifles I moved on him at a double-quick, using the dismounted men on the mountain on the right and the cavalry on the left of the road which runs along at the foot of the mountain. The enemy here made a more stubborn resistance than at any time previous, and I was in hopes that he would stand long enough for us to get within short range, but I was soon invited to another race, as he showed his heels as usual; it was then dark, and impossible to come up with him again.

I captured his camp, rations for the men and oats and corn for the horses, also several horses, saddles, bridles, forage, and haversacks, blankets, and canteens, which were mostly filled with whisky. About thirty horses were captured in all, several of which are in Captains Williams' and Da Huff's and Lieutenants Chapman's and Reynolds' commands--the number I have been unable to ascertain; Captain Givens has three or four, which will be accounted for hereafter. Captain Kennamer's home guards has eight or ten head of cattle at Woodville, which I directed to have sent here. Some twenty stand of arms were captured, including rifles, carbines, and shotguns; they were mostly given to the home guards, as they were mostly without arms.

Much of the property captured at the camp was of considerable loss to the enemy, but of very little use to us. I ordered it burned and otherwise destroyed.

I occupied the enemy's camp the night of the 19th, and the next morning at daylight took his track, but soon ascertained that he was too far in advance for me to overtake him, and as it had been raining all night and the streams rising rapidly, I did not think it prudent to follow him, and therefore returned with the command to Brownsborough, where I arrived at dark, that being the only point where I could get to the railroad on account of high water.

Two of my command were slightly wounded. I lost 2 horses drowned and 3 or 4 abandoned.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. W. HALL,         
Colonel Fourth Regiment Michigan Infantry.
Lieut. WILLIAM M. SCOTT, 
        Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 45, Part 1 (Serial No. 93), p. 636-7

No comments: