Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Brigadier-General Rutherford B. Hayes to Sophia Birchard Hayes, Sunday, April 9, 1865

NEW CREEK, (WEST) VIRGINIA, April 9 (Sunday), 1865.

DEAR MOTHER:— The good news is coming so fast and so much of it that I hardly know how to think or feel about it. I expect to see no more fighting with any part of my command, and in all quarters the severe fighting must, I think, soon cease. I was assigned to the command of an independent expedition through the mountains towards Lynchburg some days ago. We are still preparing for it, but I now think it will not go. In the meantime my headquarters are temporarily at this place. I do not much care where I am during the short time I shall probably now remain in the army. I want to stay a little while longer until the smoke of these great events blows away enough to let us see what the Rebels will try to do next. I expect to see many of them give up, but the Rebel organization will hold on I suspect some time longer. My four years is up in June; after that I feel at liberty to resign. Sooner if matters [don't (?)] suit. Write me at this place for the present.

Affectionately, your son,
R.
MRS. SOPHIA HAYES.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 573

No comments: