Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Brigadier-General Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, April 19, 1865

NEW CREEK, WEST VIRGINIA, April 19, 1865.

MY DARLING:— I have just returned from Cumberland to meet Dr. Joe from Winchester and to see the funeral ceremonies, etc., at department headquarters.

Had a good time. I feel the national loss, but even that is nothing compared to the joy I feel that this awful war is ended in our favor. Joe and I moralized over it, and agreed that no one man, not even so great a one as Lincoln, was anything by the side of the grand events of the month.* We are to leave the service hereafter when things take shape a little, if possible at the same time.

I asked you in a late letter to be ready to come to me on short notice. I, or somebody, will meet you at Parkersburg or somewhere. Come without much baggage ready to travel. We will perhaps take a journey of three weeks or so when I quit. Joe will go along and possibly two of my staff. Can we take Birch without Webb? Can you leave George?

I am so anxious to be with you. Your letter of the 5th, which I find here, is the first I have from you in a great while. I am so happy in the prospect of being with you for good soon. Reply at once.

Affectionately, ever,
R.
MRS. HAYES.
_______________

* See Dr. Joseph T. Webb to Maria Cook Webb, April 20, 1865

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 578

No comments: